46 residents after fireplace within the outdated folks’s dwelling in Kelowna. expelled

The Kelowna Fire Department acted quickly to rescue a retirement home that caught fire on Friday.

According to Platoon Captain John Kelly, crews responded at 3:15 p.m. on 1075 Barnes Road after receiving reports of smoke coming from a first floor balcony. Upon arrival, the firefighters noticed smoke and flames coming from a ground floor apartment at the far end of the building.

“The flames had traveled the outside of the building to the fourth floor,” said Kelly. “An aggressive attack quickly put out the fire from outside.”

“The fire broke through several windows of the units, causing some fire damage inside the units on the first and second floors. Sprinklers had also activated and caused some water damage on all affected floors.”

This incident affected the electricity supply in 41 different units and displaced 46 residents. A man was also treated on site for smoke inhalation.

Precautions have been taken for the tenants and those affected live at the Mission Wood Retirement Resort.

KFD responded to the incident with four engines, a rescue unit, a cart and a command unit. RCMP, the BC Ambulance Service and Fortis BC also attended.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined. NowMedia will update the story when more information becomes available.

Support local journalism by clicking here to make a one-time contribution or sign up for a small monthly fee. We appreciate your consideration and every contribution you can make.

Comments are closed.