Metropolis of Kelowna reminds owners to reasonable outside water use – Kelowna Information
Refocus on saving water
Rob Gibson – Jul 13, 2022 / 9:00 pm | Story: 375602
Kelowna may have had a wet spring but the city is still considered to be in a moderate drought.
The municipality is reminding residents to watch their outdoor water usage.
The Okanagan has one of the highest rates of water use per person in the country. Watering household lawns and gardens accounts for approximately 24 per cent of water used in the Okanagan.
“After the cooler, wet spring we’ve had, it might seem strange to refocus on conservation,” admits Ed Hoppe, Water Quality and Customer Care Supervisor.
“But, the Okanagan Valley remains one of Canada’s driest regions, and the last few summers have shown us just how hot and dry things can get—and how fast it can happen. Developing good conservation habits now will help us all adapt and prepare for the hotter temperatures to come.”
The City of Kelowna recommends:
- Schedule a free irrigation assessment to ensure your system is working efficiently
- Collect rainwater in barrels and use it for irrigation
- Water between midnight and 6 a.m.
- Treat your yard well: let your grass grow long, sharpen your mower blade and over-seed your lawn. Learn more about proper lawn maintenance at Kelowna.ca/watersmart
- Transform your yard into a water-smart oasis featuring native plants and grasses
- Take advantage of rebates to offset the cost of making water smart upgrades to your irrigation system
”Many of us have begun to notice how our local climate is changing. To adapt to those changes, we need to start thinking about future generations even as we work together to care for our water sources and infrastructure today. That means we need water heroes in our community now more than ever,” Hoppe adds.
The City of Kelowna reminds residents to follow the watering schedule, even-numbered addresses can water on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays while odd-numbered addresses are able to water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. There is no watering allowed on Mondays.